Home > Staff > Key Worker Living

Key Worker Living: A Government-led initiative

Launched by the Government, this Housing initiative has been developed as a recruitment and retention tool to help keep key skills in the public services. ‘Key Workers’ could get help to buy a first home or move into a family home. Opportunities are also available to rent homes at affordable prices.

‘Key Workers’ in the NHS are defined as follows:

  • Nursing Staff & Midwives
  • Cancer Services staff, particularly Therapeutic Radiographers
  • Diagnostic support staff, including Diagnostic Radiographers and Bio-medical Scientists
  • Mental Health professionals, e.g. Mental Health Nurses and Graduate workers in primary care.
  • Social Workers
  • Occupational Therapists & Physiotherapists
  • Chiropodists
  • Clinical staff working within the Orthoptics field
  • Clinical staff working within the Dietetics field
  • Clinical staff working within the Prosthetics and Orthotics fields
  • Arts Therapists
  • Paramedics
  • Psychologists
  • Psychotherapists
  • Radiographers
  • Pharmacists

Help Available:

  • ‘Equity Loans’ of up to £50,000 to help ‘Key Workers’ buy a home on the open market or a new property built by a registered social landlord.
  • Shared ownership of newly built properties.  (You buy at least 25% of the home and pay a reduced rent on the remaining share).
  • ‘Intermediate renting’ where the rent is set at a level between that charged by social and private landlords.


The Zone Agent for Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire and West Suffolk is the Bedfordshire Housing Association, trading as ‘Key Homes East’  .

Web Site: www.keyhomes-east.org.uk

Telephone no. 0845 4566757

If you are interested in applying for assistance under the Key Worker Living initiative please call Key Homes East on the telephone number above, who will give guidance and advice, and forward an application form to you if you are eligible under this scheme.

Last updated: 19 Mar 2015 11:14:59.787

This site uses automatic translation software provided by Google. The Trust cannot verify its accuracy and you should not rely on the information translated. If you have a query, please contact the Patient Advice and Liaison(PALS) or your doctor/nurse/therapist.